A variety of human and environmental changes can cause changes to food availability and nutrition, including:
- Decreased availability of freshwater for agricultural activities.
- Decreased soil quality.
- Habitat loss that destroys populations of species harvested for food.
- Extreme weather events that damage fisheries, crops, and livestock.
- Overfishing or over hunting that decrease species populations.
- Pollutants and waste that damage crops or species populations.
- Invasive species that harm crops or livestock, either directly or indirectly via diseases they carry.
- Human population growth, which requires more food to sustain healthy populations, and which effects the environment in a great many ways.
Can you think of additional cause and effect relationships between food availability and nutrition and other parts of the Earth system?